Sunday, September 16, 2012

Walnut Springs Press Month: Spotlight and Interview with Carole Thayne Warburton


  Spotlight on
Author Carole Thayne Warburton
 

Carole Thayne Warburton loves the great outdoors. Besides writing, she spends her time roaming the hills and mountains in Northern Utah, making pottery, and enjoying life with her husband of 30 plus years.

Carole and her husband taught school in a K-10 two-room school with 24 students in the small town of Grouse Creek. The nearest grocery store was sixty miles away and most of the road was dirt and windy (still is). Much of her writing was inspired by the six years they spent living there. Now, Carole and her family live in Cache Valley, Utah.

Carole is the author of 4 published novels, including 2 Walnut Springs Press titles, Sun Tunnels and Secrets (2010) and Just Shy of Paradise (2011). Her other books include A Question of Trust (2003) and False Pretenses (2004)

Blog
Interview

Book Bug: Welcome to The Book Bug, Carole!

When and why did you begin writing?

Carole: I’ve been writing stories since the 3rd grade. My mother was a reporter for the local newspaper and was a member of the League of Utah Writers. She sometimes tried her hand at creative writing and I was fascinated. Teachers often encouraged me in my writing. In about 1981 I entered some writing in the New Era contest and got third place in two categories. That cinched the desire to publish. In about 2000, I began novel writing and really enjoyed it.

Book Bug: What book(s)/author(s) have influenced your life and writing?

Carole: I love quirky characters. I love character driven novels with strong women. Anne Tyler is one my favorite authors and the first time I read one of her books I felt like I wanted to meet her. I couldn’t wait until she’d get another book out. She isn’t that prolific so I’ve read all of her published novels. And one of my favorites is The Accidental Tourist. I thought of this book when I was writing Sun Tunnels and Secrets because in my novel I have a character who becomes an accidental thief.

Book Bug: Quirky characters make books so fun and interesting!

What is your favorite genre to read/write?

Carole: I dabble my reading in a lot of areas, but lately I’ve really enjoyed reading memoirs. I’ve read about a dozen memoirs in the last couple of years. I’ve been slowly working on my own memoir even though I’m not sure what I’ll do with it when it’s finished. While I’m working on my pottery I love to listen to audio books. My tastes for listening run the gamut. I love listening to Tony Hillerman’s mysteries, Janet Evanovich’s mysteries, Barbara Kingsolver’s novels and of course Anne Tyler. I listen to just about anything and right now have been listening to those Diana Mott Davidson culinary mysteries.

Book Bug: Wow! You are quite eclectic!

What is your writing process? Do you follow a regular routine?

Carole: I trade back and forth between writing and pottery. Sometimes the writing takes a backseat to the pottery especially during the late spring and summer when I’m busy each weekend with markets. When I’m writing, I try to walk in the mornings and then come home and write for a couple of hours. If I work on writing much more than a few hours at a time, I get too tired. Pottery is more physical so it’s a nice balance to the mental work of writing.

Book Bug: Sounds like a good trade-off. Probably keeps you from getting bored!

Do you ever suffer from writer’s block? If so, what do you do about it?

Carole: Yes, I often suffer from writer’s block, but have found the best way through it is to read books similar to what I am working on. Also if I re-read the book I’m writing or edit it helps free the mind to be more creative.

Book Bug: I think that is good advice about reading books in the same genre. I bet it helps!

What was the hardest part of writing your book?

Carole: Re-writing is the hardest part of the writing process. Plus I’m not very good at editing, so that’s hard too. Then the one that is furthest from my comfort zone is marketing.

Book Bug: What do you think are the most important elements of good writing?

Carole: I think writing shouldn’t sound forced. Sometimes this is hard. If the writing is not flowing naturally it shows in the final product. I love author who can tell a good story, but help me visualize the scene and feel like I’m there.

Book Bug: What do you like to do when you’re not writing?

Carole: If anything there are more things I like to do than there is time to do. I spend a lot of time walking, hiking, riding bikes and spending time with friends and family. Obviously I enjoy making pottery too. I am a member of a couple of book clubs, writing groups, and am even a member of Daughters of the Utah Pioneers.

Book Bug: I feel the same way about life! Too many exciting things to do and never enough time!

What book are you reading now?

Carole: I’m reading a book called Nothing Daunted by Dorothy Wickenden.

Book Bug: What are your current/future projects?

Carole: I am working on my memoir and writing the true story of a friend who has had a very difficult life. These may be small projects that have a very limited audience. I am always thinking about other novels and especially plan to write more set in the small town of Grouse Creek.

Book Bug: Can't wait!

Do you have any advice for other writers?

Carole: Follow through with your ideas. Attend a conference, get some training and start writing. Read a lot and write a lot.

Book Bug: Thank you so much for the interview, Carole!

Walnut Springs Press Books
by Carole Thayne Warburton


Title: Sun Tunnels and Secrets
Author: Carole Thayne Warburton
Release Date: August 2010
Publisher: Walnut Springs Press (Facebook | Twitter)
Genre: Mystery/Suspense
On a trip to the Sun Tunnels in the Utah desert, Norma and her sisters find a body on the side of the road. But this awful discovery turns out to be the least of their problems. Norma's husband just passed on, and she learns he kept a secret from her for sixty years. LaRue is keeping a secret from Norma. The sister's young friend Tony is keeping a secret about his famous father, and Tony's mother is keeping a secret of her own. Tony is secretly in love with his friend Kelli, who recently escaped from a polygamist cult. And who is the mysterious young car thief with whom Norma feels a special connection? Everything converges in Grouse Creek at the Fourth of July celebration. Will secrets prove everyone's undoing? Sun Tunnels and Secrets is a story of relationships and trust, of romance and dreams.

Amazon | Barnes & Noble

Title: Just Shy of Paradise
Author: Carole Thayne Warburton
Release Date: March 2011
Publisher: Walnut Springs Press (Facebook | Twitter)
Genre: Romantic Suspense
When Lily's valuable fishing pole is stolen, her Native American friend Sky is charged with the crime. But things are not always as they seem in this intriguing tale of romance, secrets, and betrayal.

Amazon | Barnes & Noble

0 comments:

Post a Comment