As part of Pump Up Your Book's blog tour, for Latitudes: A Story of Coming Home, I'm happy to be hosting a guest post by the author, Anthony Caplan.
(Follow along on the Latitudes Virtual Book Tour at Pump Up Your Book.)
About the Book
Title: Latitudes: A Story of Coming Home
Author: Anthony Caplan
Release Date: June 2012
Publisher: Hope Mountain Press
Genre: Contemporary Coming-of-Age
7 Reasons to Read Latitudes
by Anthony Caplan
- You'll be inspired. Here's an inspirational story of how a boy, Will Kogan, finds his way out of depression and overcomes a family legacy of violence, kidnapping and trauma. It's a story of personal strength and commitment to life, friendship and adventure.
- You'll laugh. Even in the middle of the worst circumstances, there are moments of laughter and humanity, like the camping trip on the deserted tropical island where the hermit crabs eat all of the Kogan family's food.
- You'll cry. You will feel what it's like for a child in a broken home. As one critic said about Latitudes, "Caplan presents a marvelous portrayal of a marriage unraveling from the viewpoint of the children."
- You'll recognize yourself. Despite its international settings, this is a uniquely American story of an upwardly mobile family in trouble. Will's parents' search for the American Dream takes them all the way to Venezuela, an oil-rich South American nation where Will and his sisters first see the light of day. But the Kogan's story of a family in pain and confusion is happening every day, on every block and every rural road in America.
- You'll be entertained. Latitudes is a page turner, a compelling book written in what a critic called "language that is smart and poignant.
- You'll learn. Did you know that a shrimp net is called an atarraya? Based on the true-life experiences of the author growing up in a bicultural family, Latitudes presents a world that is both familiar and new.
- Your life will be changed forever. A how-to survival guide for children, Latitudes contains life lessons for all ages of readers.
About the Author
Purchase the Book